Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Paying it Forward: Random Acts of Kindness

This is a very special post near and dear to my heart,

"Selflessness is the sincere concern for the well being of others.  It's about love.  It's about compassion.  It's about kindness and faith.  It's about making a difference in the world.  Sure, you are only one, but you are one.  You cannot do everything, but you can do something.  Smile and enjoy the fact that you have the ability to make a difference-one you'll likely remember forever." 
(http://www.marcandangel.com/2012/05/25/60-selfless-ways-to-pay-it-forward/)

It is the best time of the year; for people who really know me they know it is my favorite time of the year.  It is time to be thankful for everything around you, cherish the people in your life, appreciate the little things, and best of all: time to give.  Thanksgiving is on Thursday and Christmas is right around the corner.  What better way to kick of the holidays than to perform some Random Acts of Kindness and brighten someone's day. I wanted to share this to inspire all of you to "pay it forward" or to perform some Random Act of Kindness.  I would love for this post to inspire even just one person to do something that will make someone else's life brighter.  That act could inspire that person to pay it forward and the giving will just become contagious. "Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water- it will make ripples throughout the entire pond." - Jessy and Bryan Matteo. 


 One of my favorite quotes is from the genius Albert Einstein and I don't know about you, but I believe everything he says




So I decided to "pay it forward" while I had a little bit of free time today.


I left a dollar in the toys at the dollar store and wrote a note on the back of the card so a child can enjoy a new toy.


I went to Walmart and purchased a gift card to leave near food items people might purchase for Thanksgiving.


 I love scratch cards, so I attached two scratch cards to a gas pump and wished them luck!


As I was driving out of the parking lot I noticed a cart at the very end of the lot.  I ran it back and organized the carts.  


There are so many ways to Pay It Forward and these are just a few things that I did.



Here are some other ideas :)
  • Volunteer for local charities
  • Shovel someone's driveway or sidewalk for them after a snowstorm
  • Donate books or clothes 
  • Write an awesome review for a small restaurant or independent business.  It will really make someones day who has worked hard and believes in their business.  If you believe in it too, express it.  It will make them feel great.  
  • Smile or give someone a compliment.
  • Tell a friend how much they mean to you. Write them a letter.  People do not express enough how much others mean to them.  It will mean more than you could imagine.  
  • Be a friend who listens..and I mean really listens.  Sometimes thats all someone needs.
  • Leave some money on a vending machine for the next person to use.  
  • Write a nice note to a stranger in a popular book in the library when you return it.  
  • Pay for the person's coffee behind you in line.
  • Fill an expired parking meter.
  • Buy a friend their favorite candy and give it to them 'just because.'
  • Share your umbrella on a rainy day.  
  • Brush off someone's car when it snows.
  • Spend some time on Free Rice.  
There is no better feeling in the world than to make someone smile or to make someone feel special.  In college, I was part of a group called LIGHThouse Leadership society.    I was lucky to be a part of the first ever retreat and then chosen to be the first group of facilitators to plan the retreat for a new group of students.  These retreats took 20 strangers on a weekend that would change their lives.  This group of college students would leave campus strangers and return family. It was our passion to make people smile, to be that ear to listen, that shoulder to lean on, to give back, and to make anyone's day a little brighter. This group organized an annual "24 hours of light" event for our school that was dedicated to 'paying it forward.'  Being part of the first ever group of LIGHThouse facilitators has ingrained into my life the importance of making others feel special and loved and I know my fellow facilitators would agree with me.



I always say the people in our lives are the most important thing and if we can make others feel special, even strangers, then maybe we can all appreciate each other and how lucky we truly are.  Remind people that there is kindness in the world and as we say here on Zoe Lane, we can strive for absolute fullness of life for everyone.


"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth, "You owe me!"  Look what happens with a love like that, it lights up the whole sky."  -Hafez
So make it part of your daily routine to make someone smile even with the simplest of gestures. Cherish that fact that you have the power to impact someone's life in such a positive way.  I hope this post inspires and ignites a light inside of you to pay it forward and perform some random acts of kindness.  So get out there and give; take this Zoetic Challenge and the next time someone wants to repay you for something, ask them to pay it forward. 

Let me know some of the ways you pay it forward :) 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 
Dream, Believe, Inspire




2 comments:

  1. Love this!! Going to give it a try tomorrow, thanks for the inspiration, Zoe lane!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing the affect that one simple act of caring can have on a person. As a teacher, I see this everyday. Simply asking how things are going can completely change the students day and attitude. I love seeing the impact that something this small can have, it is truly inspiring to think about the impact that acts of kindness can have on a larger scale.

    Awesome article, very inspiring. You are amazing! Keep shining your LIGHT :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS