Monday, November 25, 2013

Carrot and Ginger Soup

Happy Monday!

So some of you might know I have been struggling with GI issues for over a year now.  I have had every test you can think of done and it is still some mystery as to what is wrong with me.  Long story short I have been changing my diet many different ways to see what foods triggers my symptoms.  I met this nutritionist in NYC, when I lived there, who actually helped me feel a little better.  After I moved home I reconnected with her in September.  She is part of this company called "The Plan"  (click to visit the official website).  I decided to try the program for the 20 days.  I learned a lot about my reactive foods, but I also learned really great recipes.  This is one of the recipes that I still make on a weekly basis.  I eat this soup for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on what I am in the mood for.  Here are the step by step instructions on how to make Carrot and Ginger soup. (This recipe is from the book "The Plan" by Lyn-Genet Recita)


Here are the ingredients:
8 carrots
1 large zucchini (or 2 small)
1 large onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 inch of ginger
1 liter of water
1tsp of cinnamon (more to taste)
fresh ground black pepper (optional)


You will also need
a pot
cutting board
blender
peeler
knife

Fill the pot with 1 liter of water and bring to a high simmer

Then peel and roughly cut the carrots because these vegetables will be placed in a blender at the end, but make them small enough so the carrots will become soft when simmered.  Place the diced carrots into the pot.


Cut the zucchini, the large onion, five gloves of garlic, and the one inch of ginger roughly and place into pot.




Let all the ingredients simmer until soft (usually takes about 20 minutes).  I usually stick a knife or fork into the carrots to test it; you want the carrots to be soft so they will blend into a creamy texture.


Pour the entire pot of vegetables, including the water, into the blender.


Add cinnamon to the blender and blend until creamy.



And just like that, you have your soup!



It is also suggested to add chia seeds, sunflower seeds, or even pepitas (pumpkin seeds) to the soup for added fiber and protein. Make sure the seeds are raw and unsalted.


I sometimes add cinnamon to the finished soup instead of during the blend.  Either one works.  Enjoy this super simple soup recipe.  It is digestion friendly and tastes really good!

Let me know what you think of it!

Dream, Believe, Inspire,


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS